"Mr. Plinkett Meets The TNG Crew" is the pilot episode of the 789 Films animated web series, Mr. Plinkett: The Animated Series. It first aired September 14, 2011 on YouTube. The episode was animated and edited by Shaun McKinnon, combining preexisting voice-work by Mike Stoklasa with archive audio from other sources to form a unified story, a technique used in all episodes of the series.
The pilot episode introduces a non-canon Harry S. Plinkett, whose chance meeting with his old friend Bea Arthur, leads to an abduction by the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew. The pilot was well-received by both Mike Stoklasa and Jay Bauman, and the fan-made series was eventually added to the RedLetterMedia website as an official production. The pilot featured a rough, hand-drawn style with exaggerated line boil, but subsequent episodes have minimized boiling in favor of a smoother, more subdued animation style.
Mr. Plinkett gets an unwelcome surprise visit from Bea Arthur, recently returned from the netherworld of the Force. Soon after, he is taken captive and brought on board the Enterprise-D by the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew. Plinkett is given a tour of the ship by William Riker and meets Data's cat, Spot.
- Mike Stoklasa as Harry S. Plinkett and Bea Arthur
- Jonathan Frakes as William T. Riker (archive audio)
- Michael Dorn as Worf (archive audio)
- Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard (archive audio)
All first season episodes were released with alternate titles; the original title of this episode was "Mr. Plinkett: the animated series #1." Many visual references to RedLetterMedia productions are scattered throughout the short.
Sources for the voices of the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew include the episode "The Survivors," Star Trek Generations, and Star Trek: The Next Generation Interactive Technical Manual. "Oranges," the Plinkett leitmotif, plays at the beginning of the episode.
The episode first aired September 14, 2011 on the 789 Films YouTube channel, and was officially added to the RedLetterMedia website on August 19, 2012. After the closure of 789 Films YouTube channel due to copyright strikes, the episode was re-released June 9, 2013 on Shaun McKinnon's YouTube channel.
The name of 789 Films animation studio is seen on the fence around Mr. Plinkett's yard and on the door to Data's quarters. A cartoon self-portrait of series creator, Shaun McKinnon, is seen hanging on the wall of Data's quarters.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Red Letter Media, LLC (September 14, 2011). "Twitter / redlettermedia: This is wonderful... ...". Twitter.com. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- ↑ Red Letter Media, LLC (December 10, 2013). "Mr. Plinkett: The Animated Series – Ghost of Christmas Plinkett". RedLetterMedia.com. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Red Letter Media, LLC (August 19, 2012). "Twitter / redlettermedia: We added a new section to the ...". Twitter.com. Retrieved April 20, 2014.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 McKinnon, Shaun (June 9, 2013). "Mr. Plinkett: the animated series #1 - YouTube". YouTube.com. 789 Films. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- ↑ McKinnon, Shaun (January 15, 2013). "My Last Video". YouTube.com. 789 Films. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "Mr. Plinkett Meets The TNG Crew" on RedLetterMedia
- "Mr. Plinkett: the animated series #1" on YouTube
- "Mr. Plinkett: the animated series #1" (original link) on YouTube